I would really like you to Learn Tai Chi and feel better!
As a Tai Chi practitioner and teacher for over 25 years, I am passionate about this beautiful discipline and its multiple
health benefits for Body, Mind and Spirit. My goal is to help you as a student to safely develop your skills and knowledge of Tai Chi so that you can experience these amazing benefits for yourself at a level that is right for you, even if you have never exercised before - or think you can't!!
I provide gentle, safe and effective Tai Chi for Health classes aimed at helping you to improve your health and wellbeing in an enjoyable way. Beginners are invited to join a class at any time.
Check programme descriptions/venues/times below. Please don't hesitate to call or email to discuss which one might be best for you.)
SCROLL to BOTTOM OF PAGE FOR JOINING INSTRUCTIONS
- Monday 9.30am: Newarthill Community Centre
- Monday 1pm : Jim Foley Community Centre, Craigneuk (1½ hr class)
- Wednesday 10.30am: (Seated Class) Auchlochan Retirement Village, Lesmahagow (open to anyone - book at Auchlochan Reception)
- The Wednesday evening class in the Jim Foley Centre, Craigneuk has been discontinued meantime. I hope to offer an alternative in the near future. Check here or on my Facebook page (Silken Thread Tai Chi - Tai Chi for Health) for updates.
- Thursday 10am-11am: Pat Cullinan Community Centre, Logans Road, North
- Thursday 2pm - 3pm: Newmains Community Resource Centre (beside Newmains Health Centre)
Joining instructions at the bottom of the page _________________________________________________________
Please call, text or email me to check times- especially during school/public holidays.
See below for more details of
Tai Chi for Health Programmes
*Tai Chi for Arthritis(TCA)
*Tai Chi for Osteoporosis(TCO)
*Tai Chi for Diabetes(TCD)
*Tai Chi for Energy (TCE)
*Tai Chi for Falls Prevention (TCFP)
*Tai Chi for Kidz ( TC4K ) see separate page on Home Page Menu
*Tai Chi for Rehabiltation
*These are programmes that have been devised and medically proven to be suitable and beneficial for specified conditions, but are also suitable for all. All incorporate a focus on general health, safe physical exercise and mental relaxation.
Note (NB: See KEY above for full name of each programme): TCA/TCD/TCR are currently running Monday mornings and afternoons, and Thursday mornings and afternoons). I hope to offer TCO, and TCE programmes during the year according to demand and time! Tai Chi for Falls Prevention (TCFP)can be incorporated into any of these programmes.
Within each of these specialised programmes I will teach you a unique short form or 'set'(sequence of movements) adapted from Sun, Yang and Chen Tai Chi styles by Dr Paul Lam and a team of Tai Chi and medical experts, and suitable for all fitness levels. Tai Chi for Energy is a wonderful fusion of Sun and Chen Styles, with a mixture of flowing and dynamic movements.
In addition all incorporate specific elements designed to benefit each specified medical condition as well as integral Qi Gong elements. All of these programmes are suitable for beginners - with or without a medical condition!
*Seated Tai Chi (available in all classes)
For those with mobility issues, there is also the option of participating Seated within the above-mentioned programmes.
Seated Tai Chi is often chosen as a gentle but effective way to exercise (and relax) as it provides a long list of health benefits with minimal physical exertion for those less able to stand.
Despite the gentle nature of this seated exercise programme, it nevertheless incorporates whole-body movement and strengthening exercises within your own comfort range.
Providing a gentle full-body workout with focus on weight -shift and effective breathing, it offers an excellent means of improving your fitness and general health.
*Tai Chi 4Kidz
(Please select TC4K page in Start Menu to find out more)
Also : When time allows, I occasionally offer a course in YangStyle 24 Step Form ( the most universally popular Tai Chi form). This course is a little more physically demanding and requires some previous Tai Chi knowledge.
Please contact me for further details of any of the adult classes currently available in and around the Motherwell area. Classes are suitable for all fitness levels, including seated participants. Check back here for up to date details of new classes, or visit and Like my Facebook page (Silken Thread Tai Chi - Tai Chi for Health) .
How to join a Class
NB: Classes are currently on Summer Break. Resuming 3rd week in August, apart from the Monday 1pm class, which resumes on
- Monday mornings: 9.30am in Newarthill Community Centre £2 per class (Newarthill Community Action) : Just turn up!
- Monday Afternoons: 1pm-2.30pm in Jim Foley Community Centre, Craigneuk, Wishaw (Book through Lifelong Learning Association , Tel: 01698 373401), or just turn up! (£5 annual membership, £2 per class)
- Thursday Mornings 10 a.m-11am. in the Pat Cullinan Centre, North Motherwell, £2 per class (Just come along - Health & Wellness Hub class) Please note: This class also runs roughly in line with school terms/ off public holidays.
- Thursday afternoons 2pm - 3pm in the Newmains Community Trust Centre ( beside Health Centre) £2 per class - Run by the SWELS group. Just turn up! Please note: Also off during school holidays and public holidays.
Most community classes cost no more than £2. Wear soft flat shoes and comfy clothes, and you might like to bring some water.
I also offer:
morning/lunchtime workplace mini-courses, TC4K , Courses in Yang Style 24 Step Form, demonstrations and taster sessions, and input for in-service days or training days. Private tuition by arrangement.
Please contact me at any time. Leave a message and I will call/text/email you back!